The Magazine of Lenton Local History Society

Lenton Times Issue 5 - February 1991

Corrections


Everyone who read issue No. 4 must have noticed one of our errors. Laying out two pages in the wrong order was a minor catastrophe for which we apologise profusely. The subsequent writing of 'please read page 15 before page 14' on each copy might be considered adequate penance.


See in Lightbox
On the far side of Derby Road on the left of the photo
(taken by Paul Bexon) would once have been the Parkside Ground.

In the article on Nottingham Forest and Lenton we conjectured that the Parkside Ground was situated approximately where Sandfield School now stands. We plumped for this site because a contemporary newspaper account described the ground as almost opposite the point where Willoughby Street met Derby Road. Given the slope on the land further up Derby Road we thought it rather implausible to suppose that the Parkside Ground lay here but unlikely as it seems we have since come across a newspaper account that points in that direction. The Nottinghamshire Weekly Guardian for 20th January 1940 included an article by C. W. Martin, a gentleman of mature years recalling some of his early memories of New Lenton. He confidently stated that the Parkside Ground was to be found opposite where Mill's Lane joined Derby Road. Mill's Lane used to run across the allotments on Allenfield Gardens to Park Road. Allenfield Gardens disappeared in the 1920s when the Drives were developed but Mill's Lane lay almost exactly along the present line of Rolleston Drive. So it would appear that the residents of Teversal and Rothesay Avenues now live where Forest used to play. Mr Martin admits that he wasn't old enough to remember the Ground being used by Forest and was simply recording what others had told him; his own first memory of the site was as a field where fete and galas were held but by whom he doesn't specify.



The relevant part of the etching

We also allowed a small error to creep into the caption accompanying the etching of the train approaching Nottingham. We stated that on the left are the factories of New Lenton which is correct but that next to them came The Park. Frank Barnes suggests that the open field is in fact the Allen field before the arrival of the allotments and that those tiny figures are walking along the track that later became Park Road. The Park itself lay beyond the open field in the wooded hollow. And finally the eagle eyed will have noticed that the date on Lenton Firs Lodge, when David Mitchell and his family moved in, was 1861 and not 1862 as was stated in the article.




All material on this site not covered by other copyright and not explicitly marked as public domain is Lenton Times 2010 and must not be used without permission