Occasionally we come across Lenton photographs where we lack certain information about them. This page features some of the photographs where we want to know more. Any additional information we are subsequently able to acquire will be included in the section below the photographs.
We know the location for this photograph - the stretch of open
space between Castle Boulevard
and Sherwin Road with the Albion
Hotel visible on the left of the photograph. What we would like to
know is more about the organisation(s) whose members are posing for
their photograph. Clearly the banner mentions the Nottingham &
Notts Sick and Annual Societies and there is also a reference on it
to the Children's Hospital - but what other references were to be
found on the lower half of the banner and does anyone have a
suggestion as to when the photograph was taken?
Replies:- Ivor Williamson
I think that this photograph shows a local gathering of the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes and the large banner behind them relates to their charity.
If you look on the smaller banner you will see a pair of horns, very faint but they are there.
Gavin Holman has a web site which among other things features old
photographs of brass bands. This very blurred image taken from his
web site shows members of the Lenton brass band which Gavin
understands was certainly around in the early part of the twentieth
century. He doesn't know any other details about the band and
doesn't have access to a better image. We would obviously like to
learn more about the band and if possible get hold of a superior
copy of the photograph. Those who would like to know more about
Gavin's website should click on http://www.ibew.co.uk
This photograph appeared on picture postcard produced by J. Spree.
It shows a steam wagon with the registration number FE-2031 after
it had crashed through the garden wall of 259 Derby Road, Lenton. We would like to pinpoint
the date when this accident happened then we could check out the
local papers to see if the mishap made the pages of the local
press. One way of assisting us is to find someone with another copy
of the picture postcard but one that has been sent through the post
and so has a postmark with a date on it. Then we can better gauge
when the photograph might have been taken
Replies:- Ian Carney
The steam wagon shown in the photograph is an "overtype" made by Clayton & Shuttleworth of Lincoln. As far as I can tell, all their steam wagons bore the registration prefix 'FE'. I have a photograph of a beautifully restored wagon of the same type. The legend reads:-
Clayton & Shuttleworth 5 ton compound wagon. Built 1920. Works no. 48510, Reg. no. FE-3344. The wagon is pictured in front of Shuttleworth House, was sold new to West Morland County Council. By 1934 it had moved to Tarroads of Battersea, London. Eventually being sold to engine dealers and scrap merchants J. W. Hardwicke & Sons of West Ewell. It passed through several owners before being purchased by the present owner D. Scott, in 1995. It was exhibited as part of the The Clayton & Shuttleworth Millennium Event at the Society's Bedfordshire Steam & Country Fayre, 16th and 17th September 2000, at which this picture was taken.
If Clayton's had a batch of registration numbers, then the Lenton one (FE-2031) obviously was built a little before 1920. The brightwork on the wagon appears to be quite shiny so we might assume it is not too old. I would therefore think early 1920s is probably about the time the picture was taken.
Further speculation would suggest that the wagon has rolled backwards whilst unattended. Brakes were very rudimentary and instructions to drivers at the time were to stop with the wheels chocked and into the kerb. The fact that she is still steaming, suggests that some attempt to drive her out is about to be made.
In a local second hand book shop David Greatorex came across a copy
of Walter Scott's novel 'The Heart of Midlothian' which contained
this sticker attached to the front fly leaf of the book. The book
is described as a 'Prize Library' edition. We would be interested
to learn if there are any other people with books containing this
particular sticker and also whether anybody knows anything about
the organisation which was handing them out or whereabouts on
Lenton Boulevard they might have been based.
John Hibbitt recently  found this sign for sale in a local junk shop. We doubt very much whether this actually has anything to do with Lenton, as such, but John wondered whether anyone had any idea where the sign might have come from. The name 'Timber Hill' does feature in Nottingham's past as it was the old name for South Parade but this name ceased to be used after 1795. The paintwork on the sign looks suspiciously recent so maybe it featured in some sort of historical tableau put on in the twentieth century - if so any suggestions as to when and where?
John Hibbitt recently  came across this picture postcard. On the back the message written there was 'Best Wishes from THE SNOWDROP GIRLS (Lenton Club Girls) 25th May 1914'. If anyone can tell us who or what the Snowdrop Girls were we should be delighted to hear from them.
John Hibbitt also acquired this picture postcard in 2009. The Lenton connection comes in the caption which reads '3 Speed' winning Munition 'Derby' for the Raleigh. From this we assume the postcard recorded a World War One fund-raising event possibly involving workers from local munitions factories one of which would have been the Raleigh Cycle Company which went over to the production of shell casings and the like for the duration of the war. Although at first glance the location of the photograph may appear to be the Gregory Ground on Derby Road, Lenton closer examination suggests that the buildings are not those of this particular stretch of Derby Road. Can anyone suggest a possible location for this photograph and does anyone have any additional information about the event in question?
Jean Button sent us this photograph of her aunt, Emily 'Betty' Searston nee Daley taken some time in
the late 1930s. She initially thought it was taken at a house in
Cecil Street, off Castle Boulevard, where she was living at this
period. However, on reflection, she decided it
couldn't have been there, as the general scene
shown in the background does not match her memory of what was at
the rear of the properties on Cecil Street. Given this, does
anyone have any idea where this photograph might have been
I believe the photograph of Betty Searston was taken on Marcus Street, (which has now been incorporated into Alderney Street) rather than Cecil St. The houses on the right facing down the cul-de-sac had front gardens while the ones on the left did not. No other nearby streets had front gardens. The large chimney is also in the correct position for the works on Castle Boulevard and the opposite bay windows appear to be wood, whereas Cecil, Chippendale and Charlton Street have stone bays. The garden appears to belong to the end house next to the canal wall, or possibly the one adjoining,
Passed down through his family, some time ago Tim Preston acquired this photograph. On the back of it someone has written 'Boulevard Cycling Club – c.1890s.' Included in the photograph is Tim's relative, William Bexon, who is standing on the middle row with someone's hand on his shoulder. In the late 1890s William Bexon lived on Gloucester Avenue, hence the Lenton connection!
It seems almost certain that the Boulevard Cycling Club was based in Nottingham but whereabouts is unclear. Was it Lenton Boulevard, Radford Boulevard, Gregory Boulevard or even Sneinton Boulevard? If anyone can shed like on the matter we would obviously like to hear from them.
There is also the question of where the photograph was taken. Perhaps this was a regular stopping point for cycling clubs going out for a ride. If so perhaps there are people with other photographs taken at this spot where the location is actually identified. If there is anyone who thinks they recognise anyone else in the photograph we would also be delighted to hear from them.
If any cycling aficionados would like to comment on the bicycles themselves – please feel free to do so.
Tony Town also sent us this shot of
four members of the Club
photographed at Oxton on 29th
August 1891. Charles Adam Town
can be seen second from the left.
Tony Town got in touch with us in September 2016 regarding the Boulevard Cycling Club. He had been sorting through some items that had once belonged to his grandfather, Charles Adam Town. Charles was a lace designer by trade and used to live on Wimbourne Road, Radford. Among these items was a document bearing the logo of the Boulevard Cycling Club. It consisted of a handwritten list of the members from about 1891 and clearly Tony's grandfather had been one of the Club's members. The details given on this membership document meant that Tony could answer at least one of our queries. The headquarters of the Club were in Le Grand public house which was situated at the junction of Gregory Boulevard, Alfreton Road and Berridge Road West. So the Boulevard in question was clearly Gregory Boulevard.
Slightly disappointing is the fact that William Bexon was not listed among the Club's members so either he must have joined slightly later on or else his name had been missed off the membership list. Among those who were listed were Richard Morriss Woodhead and Paul Eugene Louis Angois – the two men whose cycle business was subsequently taken over by Frank Bowden and would become the Raleigh Cycle Company.
If you would like to see a copy of the Boulevard Cycle Club's list of members click here.
This photograph has been passed on to us because one of the girls is believed to have a Lenton connection - a connection that may well be the Lenton Church School. However the maypole dancers do not appear to be posing for their photograph in any Lenton setting that we can recognise. Does anyone recognise the building shown in the background on the right? If so then we would like to know where it might be.
We would also like to hear from anyone who thinks they might be able to identify any of the girls who feature on the photograph. We don't have a date but think it is probably sometime before the First World War.
A Nottingham Corporation tramcar with a No.6 on it and the destination given as Lenton - how could we resist including this photograph on the website. A cursory glance would suggest that the tram is on Castle Boulevard on its way into the city centre. However when you look more closely the buildings just visible in the background don't quite marry up with what we would expect to see on Castle Boulevard in the 1920s. The No.6 route went from Radford through Lenton to the city centre and then out along the St Ann's Well Road. We suspect that the tram was actually somewhere in the St. Ann's area when it was photographed. However our knowledge of that part of the city is pretty sketchy. What do others think?
Glenys Randle was given these two photographs of Lenton Football Club. The person passing them on to her didn't know when the photographs were taken or the names of anyone in the photographs. On the back of the photograph shown on the left was written 'Lenton F.C. taken on Boots Ground Lady Bay'. Clearly the team is posing for its photograph in front of the Boots clubhouse which was erected in 1922, which gives us an earliest possible date. The card mounting on to which the photograph was set carries the stamp of 'A.D. Thornton 34 Exchange Walk'. So we also know who took the photo.
On the back of the other photograph someone has written 'Lenton F.C.' and 'R. Wolfe 43 Lonsdale Rd. Nottingham' in ink and someone else has added in pencil 'W. West 20 Poynton St., Wollaton St'. Quite what the purpose behind adding these two sets of names and addresses to the photograph is not clear. The one person who is clearly present in both photographs is the gentleman with a towel over his left arm.
We would obviously like to discover who the players were and an approximate era when either of the photographs might have been taken. Can you help?
As well as a wide range of bicycles Raleigh also produced mopeds. These 'motorised bicycles' feature in advertising material from 1958 (on the left) and 1960 (on the right) that was sent to us by Sandy Ross. He wants to try and pinpoint the locations used for the photographs. He wondered whether they might have been shot somewhere in Lenton. The likely answer is no and it is doubtful whether it was elsewhere in Nottingham. The publicity department might have commissioned images from anywhere in the country. But if you think you recognise the properties in the backgrounds let us know and we'll pass your suggestions on to Sandy.
The Lenton connection is all too evident in this photograph. Our guess is that the photograph was taken sometime in the 1930s and that the four ladies in the background are standing on the back of a lorry which is part of a motorised procession.
We don't know what the occasion may have been or when or where the photograph may have been taken. Any suggestions are most welcome.